2011年9月1日 星期四

About Toys for Big Boys~ A Humor Column By The Copper Curmudgeon

Seems her position was anyone on a Harley is a target for disaster no matter if it’s your fault or not. She told me that if you hit something on your bike . . . you lose. If someone else hits you on your bike . . . you lose. And then her math that a 6000lb vehicle driving into or over an 800lb vehicle = a very bad day for the 800lb vehicle.

So shopping for a new Harley was out . . . in her mind. Me . . . I’m just not that smart. Nothing like that would ever happen to me . . . I’m immortal . . . but I keep reading about motorcycles down on our foothill roads and most times it is not the riders fault but someone ends up hurt or worse and usually the passenger gets the worst of the damage.

Then it struck me . . . how about a Jeep? I have had many four wheel drive units. When I was a kid deer hunting . . . my job was to drive one of the camp Jeeps which seemed like a great gift from the old men in camp to let the kid drive the Jeep.

Except that I finally figured out that to drive the camp Jeep did not allow me much hunting time and when a deer was shot and rolled 400 yards down into the steep valley . . . it was my 15 year old Jeep driving butt that was responsible for climbing down and packing the dead deer back up to the Jeep . . . told you I’m not that smart.

Now I found a Jeep online and with my wife’s blessing I go test drive this toy and immediately fall in love. I got it at a good price and then pretty much had our local shop rebuild most everything.

New complete cooling system, new windshield, new O2 sensor, new fuel sensor, new front drive line, new rear U joints, new front driver’s seat, new led tail lights, new wheels and tires and all the fluids changed. Get the picture . . . the wife is looking at me thinking maybe I should have let him buy the Harley.

The project is pretty much complete and the great part is she and I have too much fun taking rides in the Jeep so it’s all good and man does this beast climb a hill. The hill climbing I do alone . . . I haven’t taken the wife wheelin’ yet . . . that might be a little over the top.

沒有留言:

張貼留言